". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Thompson: The (Largely) Untold Story

My state will hold its primary vote on February 5 as part of Super Tuesday. For months now I have been looking at the GOP candidates, trying to settle on one I could enthusiastically embrace. Although that never really happened, I decided last week that the top-tier (and thus viable) candidate that best represented my beliefs was Fred Thompson, and I was pulling for him to stay in the race so that I could give him my vote. But I will admit that Fred never struck me as having the passion for the job that I think Americans want to see, and I worried about his ability to cast a vision and get people behind it. In short, I just wasn't sure if he was up to leading not only the conservative movement but the country.

Now I think the facts, told by Carl Cameron of Fox News (who covered Thompson during the primary campaign), have borne out what my gut was telling me all along. If you are (or were) a Thompson voter, you will want to read this.

3 comments:

Marie N. said...

Rick and I were discussing our desire for all the primaries and caucuses to be held on the same day or at least the same week. We have each lost the opportunity to vote for any of our top three choices.

I really enjoyed listening to Thompson speak.

Elephantschild said...

WOW to that link.

I'd heard the Thompson-as-Veep buzz joked about on humor sites - I guess it was true!

We'll see... I'll like McCain better if Thompson is his Veep.

Hannah said...

See this link -

http://www.themidnightsun.org/?p=1743

Apparently Thompson was too much like Cincinnatus - didn't want the Presidency unless forced to. I'm sniffling.