". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Reign Over Me

My husband and I watched quite a good movie last night: Reign Over Me (2007), starring Don Cheadle and Adam Sandler. It is the story of a man (Sandler) whose wife and children died on September 11, but it is not a 9/11 movie. Instead, it is a movie about friendship and family and hope. Sandler plays a dentist who as a result of the tragedy in his life has shut down emotionally and become a virtual hermit, closing himself off from everyone with whom he had a connection before losing his family. Then one day he runs into his former college roommate (Cheadle), a dentist and family man with some burgeoning life frustrations. Because this relationship pre-dates the tragedy and the Cheadle character never knew Sandler's family, Cheadle is cautiously allowed in. An old friendship is reignited and each of the men finds his life ultimately enriched--Sandler finally begins to face the pain he has tried so long to escape, and Cheadle rediscovers some aspects of himself that have long been dormant.

The film takes its name from the song "Love, Reign O'er Me" by The Who. It is definitely a film for adults, rated "R" for language and some sexual references.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. It was a great flick, quite thought provoking.