". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Sanctity of Human Life Sunday

Today is Sanctity of Human Life Sunday. As part of its observance of this day, my congregation will kick off its annual Coins for CareNet campaign, in which individuals take home baby bottles, fill them with spare change and bills, and return them to church several weeks later. The money is then donated to our local chapter of the national Christian pro-life organization CareNet, which works to assist those in crisis pregnancies by helping them to see the value of the life that they have been given to protect and by assisting them in the work of providing for that precious life.

In your prayers today, please consider including this one:

"Lord of life and Judge of all, You alone give life. Protect the weakest among us from the ruthless violence of our day. Guard the unborn babies and their mothers from all harm. Give hope and faith to the suffering and dying that they may never be seduced into taking their own life. Frustrate the ways of those who intend to murder—turn their hearts to You. Cause us to surround the fearful and the suffering with Your mercy. Give health and godly wisdom to George, our President; William, our Chief Justice; the Congress; our Governor; and all who make, administer and judge our laws that they may defend the lives of all. O Lord of light, whose Word conquers darkness, hear our prayer." (Source: LCMS Commission on Worship)

By the way, here are the latest abortion statistics. I hesitate to call it good news, considering the number of babies that continue to be daily sacrificed on the altar of convenience, but I give thanks that of late the direction has been downward and pray that that trend would continue.

"The Lord called me from the womb; from the body of my mother he named my name." (Isaiah 49:1b)

4 comments:

Elephantschild said...

I would posit that the reason the abortion numbers are down has more to do with the fact that the populations most likely to consider abortion have been themselves previously decimated by the first generation after Roe V Wade making use of their new "freedom" to abort. There are simply LESS women around to be getting pregnant.

Call it the freakonomics theory of abortion reduction.

Or call me paranoidly pessimistic.

Cheryl said...

Maybe so, EC. But it is worth noting that the U.S. birth rate has reached a 45-year all-time high, resulting in something of a baby "boomlet." Sorry, I haven't yet learned how to put a link in a comment, but here's a story with some more data:

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Jan16/0,4670,BabyBoomlet,00.html

I notice that the story includes the statistic that the teen birth rate is up, which I guess some people would find to be bad news, but which causes me to think that perhaps fewer teenagers are getting abortions when faced with an unplanned pregnancy. And that would be something to be thankful for.

Elephantschild said...

Very good. I had missed the story on the increased birth rate.

See? This is why I read your blog. :)

Anonymous said...

very good
very informative story about birth rates.