". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Friday, January 11, 2008

Another Debate . . .

. . . and I missed it. Well, most of it anyway. And wouldn't you know, it turned out to be the one where Fred Thompson finally got some "buzz." According to the Fox News focus group, he was the hands down winner. Even so, many of those who thought he won and were impressed by his performance said that it was "too little, too late" to make a difference. (Too little too late? After one caucus and two primaries? Can someone help me out here?)

I did get to hear the closing minutes of the debate on XM radio (my husband has still not moved it from my car!) as my son and I were driving home from choir last night. Just a few observations: as I listened to the candidates' words (most of them, anyway) on the importance of supporting our ally Israel, I felt very proud and was reminded of one reason I am a Republican. These words would not be heard on a Democrat debate.

I also appreciated Mike Huckabee's comment when asked about the Southern Baptist statement he signed in 1998 asserting that "a wife is to submit graciously to the servant leadership of her husband even as the church willingly submits to the headship of Christ." I was pleased that he didn't back away from that statement but stood by it, explaining it in terms of right and left kingdom (although he didn't use those words) and asserting that while as president he wouldn't attempt to impose his faith on the country he would also not apologize for it. As he explained the scriptural foundation for his belief, he also asked if, since the debate was starting to look like a worship service, he might not go all the way and pass the plate since his campaign could use some additional funding. That got quite a laugh.

I was also glad to see Ron Paul on the stage last night. He should not have been excluded from the last debate. Although I will not vote for him, I agree with many of his ideas and think he adds a great deal to the discussion.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I did not get to see the debate either, Cheryl. Sean Hannity had Fred Thompson on his show yesterday...and I only heard part of it. Supposedly, there is supposed to be some big endorsement of Fred Thompson today. I will look forward to hearing who it is. I don't think he is out of the race yet!

Love the statement Mike Huckabee made about passing the plate. LOL! I know my Dad watched the whole thing...I'll have to get the full report from him.

Congrats on all of your blog awards you earned them...enjoy!!!!

Michelle

Elephantschild said...

The buzz I heard was that Thompson wasn't really attempting to nail Iowa OR New Hampshire. NH's pretty liberal all around - kind of a no-brainer that McCain would win since he's the GOP candidate independents and right-leaning liberals would tend to favor.

We're a long, long way from November and we've got a lot of big, big primaries to go yet! It ain't over till the inauguration!