". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Favorite Christmas Decorations

My friend Amused Momma recently wrote about one of her favorite Christmas decorations and invited her fellow bloggers to follow suit. Since we are now entering the season of Epiphany and the Christmas decorations will soon be put away until next year, I thought I better get this post done! I was unable to choose only one decoration to highlight so here are several of those closest to my heart.

The first two turn my thoughts to my husband. This one was purchased in 2002 when we celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary with a trip to Grenada . . .


. . . and this one was made around 30 years ago by my beloved's then much younger hands.

I received this fiddle-playing Santa from one of my sisters a few years back. She thought, and I agreed, that it was a dead ringer for my dad (who played the fiddle and also sported a beard in his later years).

The next three are some of my favorite tree ornaments from childhood. The first one used to be part of a set depicting various elements of the nativity scene. To my knowledge, this is the only remaining one.

I like the way these reflect the tree lights.
And of course, Santa and Mrs. Claus always get a special spot!

This nativity set was a gift to my mother from a coworker when I was about 3 years old. My mother's friend died of liver cancer about a year later. This set is starting to show its age and has had several pieces glued back together over the years, but I still love it. I have been considering buying a new nativity set but have never seen one I like as much as this one.
This is my stocking from childhood. It was made for me by one of my sisters to match the rest of the stockings that had been given to the other children by my mother's father and stepmother. I think the missing eye makes it look like the snowman is winking!
This Rudolph will walk down a slanted surface. As you can see, he has had his share of injuries over the years. He is now in the care of my daughter, who I am sure will protect him from further harm.
Isn't it wonderful how the unpacking of the boxes at Christmastime can take one back in time, calling up memories of Christmases past in the same way certain smells conjure up former times and places? Time to put these all to bed for a while, but I will look forward to seeing them again in about 11 months!


1 comment:

AmusedMomma said...

I agree that unwrapping the decorations yearly is a time that evokes memories of past Christmases.

I liked the Santa and Mrs. Claus too.

Perhaps the nativity scene can have pieces used in a new one? That way you can blend the old and the new.