". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Friday, April 10, 2009

Raising Them Right

I had to smile about this last night. For the first time in quite a while I sang with the choir (the women's chorus in the previous post). Of course, I didn't sing on "Lamb of God" (that would have been quite a trick!), but I did on three other selections (settings of Psalm 116 by Henry Gerike, the verse by Bruce Backer, and "Jesus, I Will Ponder Now" by Hugo Distler). I generally don't sing with the choir because 1) I am the choir accompanist, 2) I am married to the cantor (who usually doesn't get to sit with the family), and 3) my oldest son also sings with the choir. So that leaves my daughter alone in the pew with her little brother, and although she is quite capable of chaperoning him, I think at this point in time it is more important for me to sit with them than to sing in a choir that has plenty of altos.

But last night my husband was not the organist for the service. So he sat with the family and I sat (and sang) with the women's chorus (a treat because it also meant I got to worship for the entire service without interruption!). When the women walked in wearing choir robes and Evan saw me in their midst his face registered clear surprise and he smiled excitedly and waved. I felt like a kid in a school play trying to keep character while acknowledging my proud family members in the front row. After the service, he exclaimed, clearly impressed, "Mommy, you sang with the choir! I didn't know you could do that!"

Now this is a child who sees me play the piano in church week after week and who has even seen me sing the occasional solo. But this--this was special--this was THE CHOIR! And they were wearing ROBES!

I think he has the right idea, don't you?

2 comments:

Dakotapam said...

Too precious. I don't get to sing in the choir as often as I like either!

Hannah said...

We got home a tiny bit too late to attend Thursday evening, but I listened to the video and agree with Evan. :)