". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Saturday, April 11, 2009

Easter Vigil

Here are a couple of short videos from our Easter Vigil tonight. These are as much for my daughter as for anyone--she came down with a fever today and had to stay home. She loves the Easter Vigil, so missing it was quite a blow. We are praying she will be well enough to attend Divine Service tomorrow.

In the first video you will hear part of a setting of the First Song of Isaiah (Isaiah 12) sung responsively by choir and congregation and accompanied by accordion, guitar and percussion. (You can't drag the organ and piano outside, you know?) The worshipers have gathered around a fire outside the front door of the church to witness the lighting of the Paschal candle; having left in darkness on Good Friday, they return in darkness tonight, holding individual candles lit from the same fire as the Paschal candle as they process in to the sanctuary.

The little head you see bobbing into view from time to time is Evan, my five-year-old; his is also the voice that my cell phone recorder picks up quite clearly on the word "salvation."



The second video is of our pastor and men's chorus chanting the Exultet. The setting was composed by my husband; you can read the text here. My oldest son is singing tenor. I apologize for the occasional jumpiness of the camera, but I was somewhat distracted: I was trying to videotape unobtrusively while simultaneously managing a five-year-old holding a lit candle in church. I was glad when it was time to blow that candle out!



No comments: