". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Monday, April 27, 2009

Miss California

A lot of people who share my world view have lately been celebrating Carrie Prejean's performance in the question & answer segment of the most recent Miss USA pageant. They liked her answer because she defined marriage as being between a man and a woman.

I agree with her definition, and I am pleased that she stood up for her views even though the questioner was clearly looking for a different, politically correct response. But I don't quite get the rush to turn Carrie Prejean into some sort of role model for young Christians. She was competing in a beauty pageant, for goodness' sake. And why was she there? Because she's smart and talented? Well, maybe she is. But that's what not got her up on the stage. She was on that stage because she has a beautiful face and body. The Miss USA pageant, unlike the Miss America pageant, doesn't even have a talent segment.

I have to say also that I didn't find her to be particularly articulate. I didn't watch the pageant but first heard her response played on the radio a day or two later and found myself chuckling at yet another goofy beauty pageant answer. Miss Prejean started out by saying how great it is to live in a country where one can choose. Well, in my opinion, choice is not necessarily a good thing. It depends on what one is choosing. She went on to say that while some may choose same-sex marriage, she believes in "opposite" marriage. Huh? That left me scratching my head. When she finally got to stating her own view of marriage, it was a little less than stalwart, beginning with the words "I think I believe . . . ."

I'm not trying to diminish Miss Prejean. I do applaud her for not giving the PC answer. But I also don't think she deserves to be turned into some sort of conservative pop hero. And apparently I'm not the only one.

No comments: