". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Nous Sommes Arrivés!

Greetings from the Spice Capital of the World! We left our house yesterday morning at 5:30 a.m., took a 4-1/2 hour flight to San Juan where we had a 5 hour layover, then departed San Juan at 7:45, arriving in Grenada shortly before 10:00. There was a small amount of turbulence on the second flight, but other than that things went smoothly and I (the aerophobe) handled the journey well (thanks, Doc). There were two problems, however: first, my oldest son's bag did not arrive with us and is currently being traced. The earliest we can hope to have it is Friday morning (the next flight to the island is Thursday night). However, American Airlines has provided a $100 allowance for us to purchase supplies to get him through the next few days.

The second problem is that apparently the country of Grenada (as well as the entire West Indies, I believe) does not allow toy guns. Period. So Evan's guns (one plastic and two water guns) were confiscated by Customs. Seriously! He handled it pretty well. I told him we would buy him some new guns when we get back to the States.

I can see the beach and hear the waves from my current location. Husband and aforementioned son are already out there "limin' about" while the other two children are still sleeping. Time to wake them up and explore our surroundings. Thanks to all who prayed for our safe travel! More to come!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Enjoy your time! Hopefully, the luggage will arive when it is supposed too. I look forward to reading about the trip through your blog!

Love,
Michelle

Karen said...

I'm so glad that the flights went well and that Evan wasn't too upset about the loss of his toys. Enjoy the sunshine and warm weather. It's 50 degrees today!

Cheryl said...

Luggage update:

Trevor's bag went to Antigua last night but was put on a flight to Grenada this morning. It has now landed and will be delivered at our cottage within the hour. Yay!