". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Lord, I Believe

Yesterday in family devotion we took turns speaking the following scripture to each other. We went around the table in sequence, one person saying the first verse with the person next to him responding with the second, followed by that person then speaking the first verse and the person next to him responding with the second, and so on until everyone had had a turn with both verses. Here are the words we shared with one another:

Person #1 - "[Lord] I believe; help my unbelief" (Mark 9:24).

Person #2 - "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out" (John 6:37).

By the time we were finished, even the 4-year-old was saying both from memory. And what comfort we all took in hearing Jesus' assurance that our belief in Him--our faith--is not of our own doing but rather comes from the Father as He gives us to the Son. Just think about it: those words "All that the Father gives me will come to me" are talking about you! In your baptism you were given to Jesus, and He promises to never cast you out! So rejoice and be glad! Yours is the kingdom of God!

No comments: