". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Monday, October 6, 2008

Grenadian Cuisine - Bluggoe

Earlier this week, on the same night that we had callaloo soup, we also enjoyed some bluggoe. I haven't been able to find a great deal online about bluggoe, but it is a variety of plantains. It is apparently such a staple in Grenada that it is often referred to as "provision." The photo below shows a basket of fruit (those are grapefruit and oranges, not limes), some figs to the left, and bluggoe to the right. (We obviously weren't paying attention at the grocery store and thought we were buying bananas, not figs; our maid Cecilia told us the figs would not ripen sufficiently during our stay to allow us to eat them raw and offered to make us a fig pie; but knowing that several of my children would probably not help me eat the pie I decided to eschew the calories and suggested she take the figs home for herself).


Once again I am indebted to Cecilia for helping me out with Grenadian cooking. She told me the bluggoe would be delicious simply fried in butter with a little salt and pepper. She also demonstrated how to peel and cut one. Her facility with doing so--she peeled and neatly sliced one of the bluggoe in a few seconds, making it look so very easy--made me feel like a clumsy first-time cook when I tried to copy her actions a little later. Bluggoe may look like bananas, but they don't handle like them! Nevertheless, I finally managed to come up with this:


Here's the finished dish. It was delicious--everyone, even the pickiest among us--liked it. It tasted a little like fried potatoes and would be a good potato substitute for any meal.

Tomorrow Cecilia is going to cook a full meal for us right here in our cottage. You can bet I'll have pictures of that for you! If only I could also send some tastes through the world wide web!

3 comments:

Marie N. said...

Experiencing all the new foods is one of the best aspects of traveling.

Even if we are traveling in the US I prefer going to a local mom and pop restaurant than a franchise. Especially in New Orleans!

Elephantschild said...

Go buy more bluggoe/platains and slice them *thin* in circles to pan-fry them. Drain on newspaper, then salt 'em. Move over potato-chips!

(And aren't those oranges GOOD?)

If you shave the oranges with a sharp knife, cutting off just the outer skin but leaving the pith, you can cut a cone into the top and make a West African "suck-orange." Squeeze from the bottom and drink thru the little cone you cut out. YUM!

Melody said...

I noticed your Evan Essence again today...I check it every week or so. And I just gotta say...If Even understands himself at 4, he's WAY ahead of the rest of us! Good on you, Evan!