". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Saturday, November 24, 2007

How Times Have Changed

From The Reagan Diaries, ed. Douglas Brinkley, Harper Collins, 2007:

"Wednesday, May 4, 1983 - Paul Laxalt came by to talk a little politics. He's being pushed by friends who want to start fundraising etc. for '84. We agreed it was not a good idea." (p. 149)

Did you get that? With his bid for re-election only 18 months away, President Reagan decided it was too early to start talking about fundraising.

Granted, he was an incumbent, and we are currently looking at heated primary races in both the Democratic and Republican parties. But it nevertheless seems like these presidential campaigns are getting longer, and longer, and longer . . .

2 comments:

AmusedMomma said...

Yes, they are getting longer and much more tedious! Sigh --- for the good ol' days of campaigns that were shorter!

RPW said...

I wonder if the change happened somewhere around the Clinton Administration -- where he didn't stop fundraising during either of his terms