". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Edith

This morning as I began my day I suddenly realized I was running--literally running--through my house (kind of like Edith Bunker used to do in All in the Family), but there was no child in imminent danger, no fight to break up, nothing burning on the stove, no phone or doorbell to answer, and no loving husband at the door awaiting my greeting. On the contrary, the house was quiet and I was the only one awake. But as I considered the myriad of tasks that lay before me (finish unpacking from trip, do laundry, teach literature class, shuttle children to and from activities, rake leaves, practice for cantata, teach piano students, edit music for husband, and cook, to name a few) the sense of urgency was so great and the value of a few seconds so precious that running must have seemed--at least subconsciously--like a logical way to get from the kitchen to the laundry room.

Then again, maybe I just need to cut back on the French roast.

2 comments:

AmusedMomma said...

I love it when people loose their inhibitions enough to act on those surges of fun things that run through our brains... like randomly running like Edith Bunker.

Good for you! Keep it up! Sounds like a great stress reliever!

Paula

Cheryl said...

Actually, Ï wouldn't call it a stress reliever as much as a manifestation of stress born of just too much to do and not enough time to do it in.