". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Blue Tea Tag

This meme is named for its blog of origin, which can be found here. The instructions are to "devise a list of 5-10 courses you would take to fix your life. It's more fun to be in classes with friends, so include one course from the person who tagged you that you'd also like to take. Tag five."

Five to ten courses to fix my life? Obviously this lady has not seen my life. But here goes . . .

1) Sewing. I took home economics when I was in high school, and I had an excellent teacher who successfully guided me through making a skirt and blouse, but I haven't really sewn since then. And I'd like to take this class with ElephantsChild, who tagged me, but since I am a first grade level seamstress and she is a graduate level one, I guess the only way we can be in the same class is if she's the teacher. How about it, ElephantsChild?

2) Church History. As I talk with fellow Lutherans and read some of their blogs, I constantly run up against my ignorance in this area. Since Indiana Jane also tagged me, I'll take this class with her. Just let me know the time and place, Jane!

3) Ballroom Dancing. My husband and I have taken several classes over the years, but it's hard to find opportunities to practice, so we find ourselves forgetting a lot of what we've learned. But not only is dancing a great way to get exercise (which I sorely need), it's a perfect excuse for going on a date with your sweetheart (and no children)! Shall we, honey?

4) Flower Arranging. I love flowers, and I love arranging things. So this one has been on my list for a long time.

5) Shakespeare. In spite of being an English major and taking several courses on his works, I still have not read them all. Maybe a class would finally motivate me to do it. But I need to write the syllabus so that it only includes the things I have not read.

6) Organ. I took one year in college and have forgotten everything I learned. This one is here to make my husband smile.

7) Home Repair and Maintenance. My husband and I are non-fixer-uppers with a fixer-upper house. So this course would include units on carpentry, plumbing, electrical wiring, painting, replacing carpet, laying tile and wood flooring, roofing, driveway pouring, and installing windows and doors.

8) Currency Trading. (So that I can make enough money to afford all the home repairs, which will be costly even if we learn to do them ourselves.)

9) Bible. Having not been taken to church until junior high, and having then been confirmed as a Roman Catholic (where the focus was on doctrine rather than the Bible), I have always felt lacking in my Bible knowledge. I have tried but repeatedly failed to read it cover to cover. I really want to do this before I die (and the words "before I die" are increasing in significance with every passing year).

10) Corporate Tax Law. Just in case Liturgy Solutions makes a profit some day.

11) Oh wait, I was supposed to stop at 10, wasn't I? See what I mean? It would take a lot to fix this life. I guess art history, gardening, cooking, interior decorating, world history, and furniture refinishing and reupholstering will have to wait (among others).

Tag time. Caitlin, Susan K., AmusedMomma, Glenda, and Muddy Boots, you're it!

No comments: