". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Monday, November 19, 2012

This Is Art (ABP, Day 11)

Today while listening to the '80's channel (during which time we were NOT listening to news or talk radio) Caitlin and I heard this song. It doesn't get played on the radio very much anymore, but it is a classic. It was actually THE very first song ever played on MTV when the channel debuted on August 1, 1981, at 12:01 a.m. The video below was recorded in 2004 when the Buggles reunited to perform it for a Prince's Trust concert.  The song is a work of art, evoking much more in both text and music than its MTV, 1980's pedigree might suggest. It is not just about video overtaking radio as the prevailing electronic medium; it is about the passage of time, the inexorability of change, and our human inability to fight either. "We can't rewind; we've gone too far."
 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Funny. This is actually one of my favorite songs...