". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

By Request

In a comment on my last post, Anonymous requested more music. The following two videos have been on my Vimeo page for a few weeks and I did post them on Facebook, but for those who missed them and are interested, here you go.

The first video is of one of my favorite hymns, "Jerusalem, My Happy Home." Phillip has a concertato version published by Concordia Publishing House that is dedicated to me. :-) On All Saints' Day he did a solo version that combines some of the elements of his concertato with some of his inimitable piano improvisation. He apparently mixed up a few of the words, but I didn't notice. I can't listen to this without crying like a baby.

"Jerusalem, My Happy Home" from Cheryl on Vimeo.

The next video is from the same Sunday and was the organ prelude for the 9:30 service. It is a little noisy, as the first service ran a bit long and there was a quick turnover with 8:00 congregants leaving and 9:30 congregants coming in. The choir is also coming back in to sing at the beginning of the 9:30 service; they are not robed for logistical reasons (the music room was going to be in use by another group during the 9:30 service). Phillip wrote this on Facebook regarding his organ prelude:

Change of pace for All Saints' Sunday this year for me: I usually play hymn-based repertoire, but for a prelude to the service chose instead to play Krieger's Toccata and Fugue in A Minor. I put Rev. 14:13 in the bulletin for the congregation's meditation while I played the piece, which lines up very well with the music - "Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord" for the Toccata, and, for the Fugue, "Blessed indeed, says the Spirit, they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow them."



Toccata & Fugue in A-minor by Johann P. Krieger from Cheryl on Vimeo.

Finally, here is a video not from our church but from a gathering we had in our home last week on Election Night. Before the returns started coming in we assembled to sing "Praise the Almighty" from our Lutheran Service Book. The second stanza words are an important reminder of where we, as Christians, are to place our trust: not in earthly rulers but in Christ. I stopped recording after the second stanza so that I could sing the rest of the hymn. The young voice you hear towards the end is Evan.
 
"Praise the Almighty" (Lutheran Service Book 797) from Cheryl on Vimeo.

No comments: