". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Friday, November 9, 2012

Hard Habit to Break

It is hard to change a long-standing habit. For months now as I looked forward to what I thought would be a very different election outcome, I have partaken of a steady diet of Fox News, talk radio, and conservative blogs. For reasons outlined in my previous post I need to take a break from all that. I don't know if it will be a short or long-term break. I do know that the few times I have ventured into those forums since Tuesday night I have found myself sinking back into the sick and hopeless feeling that overtook me on Tuesday and Wednesday. Maybe all is not lost. Maybe something will change. But at the moment I do not have the emotional wherewithal to invest in hoping or fighting for that change. I need to expend what energy I have on my immediate sphere of influence.

And yet it is so hard to do--to stop that thing that you have become dependent on but that you know is bad for you! So as a means of encouraging myself I have decided to try daily to make a conscious decision to choose something else over listening to talk radio, watching Fox news, or reading a political blog. When I catch myself starting to do one of these things, I will replace it with something else and will post here what I did instead. I'll try to post daily between now and Thanksgiving and then assess where I am at that time. So here goes: Day #1 of my own Anything But Politics Challenge. 

Today, instead of listening to talk radio in the car I listened to the first movement of Telemann's Paris Quartet in D. Here it is in case you want to listen, too!

No comments: