". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Friday, November 16, 2012

ABP, Day 8

I am not going to have time to post later today so decided I better get it done right now. Today was homeschool co-op day (math for Caitlin, pottery for Evan), but Evan stayed home with a sore throat. Before that, I was going to go exercise with my husband at our community recreation center but opted out after a nasty bout of insomnia last night. Between the state of the world (which I am trying to ignore but find it impossible to entirely avoid) and several other things weighing on my mind, it has not been a good week for sleep. But I have come to a few decisions that I hope will assist in putting those things to rest and moving beyond them. I would appreciate your prayers for wisdom.

I am taking my mom to the doctor for a checkup this afternoon so am very thankful for the moderate weather and clear skies. It will make it easier for her to get out--she is extremely sensitive to the cold.

Tonight we are looking forward to getting together with some friends. There are very few things in the world better than spending time with Christian brothers and sisters.

At some point I think I will have to start paying more attention to the world again. I am at heart just not a head-in-the-sand person. I don't think it is possible to shut it out entirely, and I don't think as a parent of children who have to grow up in this world that it is moral or responsible for me to do so. But the challenge is finding the balance. How to live in the world but not let it take my heart and sap my hope? I think I have been out of balance for a while, too plugged in, too much inclined to let the events of the world, both on the macro and micro level, dictate my outlook. Rediscovering that balance is what my little "challenge" is all about. I guess it will never be a settled thing--"this much world, but no more." If only it were that easy. The struggle will always be there; in the words of a dear friend, "Such is life this side of heaven."

A friend posted this video on Facebook. I love James Taylor and I love this song. It is an interesting rendition because James humorously uses a reel-to-reel tape to provide the missing background vocals and himself sings the "riff" that his long-time backup singer, Arnold McCuller, usually sings. I really appreciated Laura posting this today as I find myself feeling incredibly thankful for our new church home and our new family there. They have taken us in, battered, bruised, imperfect people that we are, and they have made us their own, telling us that even in our weakness, we are enough. Thank you, friends. We are honored to be in your midst and we pray for God's continued blessing on the fellowship we now enjoy with you.

No comments: