". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Friday, March 7, 2008

Blogger Blues

Warning: if you are not a fellow blogger (and even if you are), you may find the following post to be quite high on the boredom/confusion scale, in which case you are welcome to skim or skip and leave me to my venting!

I have previously whined about certain frustrations I am having with my blog these days, namely the spacing at the bottom of my posts (I don't like how the footer material is crowded up against the last sentence of my posts) and the lack of a "quick edit" pencil icon (which I have toggled "on" in my settings but which is not showing up as it should when I am logged in to my blog). Now I have another complaint to add to the growing list: for about a week now, I have been unable to scroll more than about halfway down my layout settings page because the scroll bar is so large that it hits "bottom" before I do. What this means is that I am currently unable to edit anything in my sidebar lower than the "Family & Friends" link list. So if, for example, I wanted to change or add or (banish the thought!) delete one of my "Lutheran Homeschoolers" links, I would be unable to do so.

Because I am not paying the Blogger folks anything for the privilege of hosting my blog, there is not a lot I can do but wait and hope that this problem will eventually be resolved. I have searched the Blogger Help menu and joined the Help discussion group, and it appears my most recent problem (the scrolling issue) is a known bug that is currently being worked on. But after a week with no improvement, I am starting to have concerns about whether or not it will ever be fixed. So if in the days ahead you drop in at A Round Unvarnish'd Tale to discover a different look it is not because I wanted to change anything (I really like the way my blog looks and have no desire to go tinkering with it) but rather because I switched templates in the desperate hope that doing so might make these problems go away.

So is anyone else out there experiencing any of these problems? Or is it just me and this rose-colored template? Thoughts, suggestions, advice or just plain old commiseration are warmly welcomed!

5 comments:

Susan K said...

I had the squishing problem once or twice on one of my blogs. One way to work around that is to edit the post and go to the "Edit html" tab at the top. At the end of the text, add < br > < br > (no spaces). That should give you a few line breaks so the text isn't crowded against the little links at the bottom. Good luck!

Cheryl said...

Woo-hoo! I tried it on this very post and it works! Three cheers for you, Mrs. K.! (Has anyone ever called you Special K?)

And what's more, as of today the pencil has mysteriously reappeared! So now if that scrolling thing would just get fixed . . .

Cheryl said...

Oh great, the pencil is gone again. Well, it was nice for the half hour or so that it lasted.

Jane said...

I only get the pencil about half the time.

Elephantschild said...

Typepad's commenting is kinda annoying, at least at the starter-level blogs, but their online help is top notch.

Come over to the Dark Side, girls! BWHWHWHWHHHAAAAHAHAHHAAA!