". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Reason to Worry

Thanks to my husband's XM radio, we passed some of our time on the road the last few days listening to conservative talk radio. Judging by what I heard on Bill O'Reilly's daytime call-in show, some of my fears about an Obama administration are already starting to come true. According to O'Reilly, Obama has indicated his intention to put a stop to several measures that many credit with helping to keep us safe over the last eight years. Those are 1) eavesdropping on overseas communications; 2) enhanced interrogations; and 3) rendition (this practice was instituted by Bill Clinton, bless his heart). In addition, O'Reilly says that Obama has caved to the left in his appointment of someone with no intelligence experience to head the CIA.

O'Reilly says--and I think he is right--that if Obama gets his way on all of these measures (and why wouldn't he?) the chances of another terror attack in the next few years will rise precipitously. And if that happens, I think the causal relationship will be obvious. No post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy here.

It's times like these I wish we lived in some remote, deserted corner of Wyoming or North Dakota instead of in the Chicago suburbs. My husband and I are moving "emergency preparedness" to the top of our to-do list.

2 comments:

Dakotapam said...

Hey, there is plenty of room here in North Dakota...with a population of just barely 600,000, you'd fit right in.

Plus, I know of a traditional church start that would love, but cannot afford a Cantor!

Steph Anne said...

Oh, so true. I get chills down my spine every time I hear the man talk! I don't get the news of things very quickly over here (not that I couldn't...I just try to spare myself more worry), but I watched the news today then talked to a Stateside friend. Boy, oh, boy. I cannot believe the things he's doing... well, I can...

My mom went to school for law enforcement many years ago... she didn't finish her degree (had a family instead), but she still keeps in touch with some of the people. She said one of her profs was really good at predicting terrorist attacks (he's been within a month each time, and always been right about where the attack comes from). Anyway, he thinks the US can expect one sometime this month. Who knows?

But political garbage is happening all over the world right now. Here in Poland, we're suffering from Putin's pleasures... he's restricted Natural Gas flow to over 18 EU countries, some of which depend on Russia 100% for their natural gas. Luckily, Poland is not one of those...but there are a lot of people without heat now--during one of the coldest winters in Eastern Europe for a lo-o-o-ng time.

I digress.

I concur with everything you said. It's unfortunate. Hey, my dad's in construction (owns his own business in Minnesota)... maybe we should invest in him digging us a bomb shelter! Just kidding...