". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Too Many Labels

This post will only interest you if you're a fellow blogger (and maybe not even then).

I think I've gone a little overboard with labels on my posts. My label list now looks more like a book index than a listing of categories. The detail is good in that it facilitates quickly finding past posts on a particular topic. But I now have so many labels that it is hard to keep track of them all. I've turned my label list into a cross-referencing nightmare. But as I look it over, I can imagine even more! For example, my recent post entitled "Spring" is categorized under "Literature," "Poetry," and "Teaching" (because it mentions my literature class. But I could also assign labels that reflect the Christian imagery in the poem, the specific poet quoted, the season referenced, and the homeschooling connection. Where does one draw the line on labels? It could go on and on. So now I am thinking of simplifying by trying to boil everything down to a smaller number of much broader categories.

On the other hand, the list-making, detail-obsessed, organizational control-freak that resides inside this deceptively laid-back and mild-mannered exterior probably wouldn't like that.

Decision, decisions.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Before I started using labels, I made up a list. It was something broad enough that I thought I could fit most things into it. So I don't come up with labels to fit the posts. Instead I decide which of the labels would be appropriate to file something under. Every now and then I can't figure out what "file-folder" a post should go into. Then I might leave it unfiled. Or I might think of a new "file" (label) that would be appropriate for many other posts-to-be. That's what's worked for me.

Glenda said...

Or take the other side of perfectionism and just not label anything like I do. :-D

Hannah said...

What could be a solution is to get the HTML for a "search blog" feature. However, finding that said HTML will be a bunch harder. Perhaps on my next blog...