". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Saturday, May 3, 2008

"Entrust Your Days and Burdens"

I had kind of a hard day today. My dear husband commended to me the following text by hymn writer Paul Gerhardt (1607-76). I share it here to likewise encourage any of you who may be weighed down by life's demands:

Entrust your days and burdens To God's most loving hand;
He cares for you while ruling The sky, the sea, the land.
For He who guides the tempests Along their thund'rous ways
Will find for you a pathway And guide you all your days.

Rely on God your Savior And find your life secure.
Make His work your foundation That your work may endure.
No anxious thought, no worry, No self-tormenting care
Can win your Father's favor; His heart is moved by prayer.

Take heart, have hope, my spirit, And do not be dismayed;
God helps in ev'ry trial And makes you unafraid.
Await His time with patience Through darkest hours of night
Until the sun you hoped for Delights your eager sight.

Leave all to His direction; His wisdom rules for you
In ways to rouse your wonder At all His love can do.
Soon He, His promise keeping, With wonder-working pow'rs
Will banish from your spirit What gave you troubled hours.

(Lutheran Service Book #754, stanzas 1-4)

1 comment:

AmusedMomma said...

Thank you so much for sharing this! It certainly was a well-timed and needed salve! I'm especially clinging to these lines:
Take heart, have hope, my spirit, And do not be dismayed;
God helps in ev'ry trial And makes you unafraid.
Paula