". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Go Yury!

Our family has been closely following the U.S. Chess Championship this week, currently under way in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Our interest, which arises primarily from my oldest son's heavy involvement in competitive chess, is heightened right now due to the fact that going into today's final round his chess coach Yury Shulman is in clear first place and no matter what happens can do no worse than a tie for first. Yury has been my son's teacher, mentor and friend for several years now, and we can't think of a better, kinder, more gentlemanly role model for today's young chess players. We wish "good chess" to all who are playing today, but our hearts are with Yury.

You can see a photo of Yury and read more about the tournament here (once you click on the link, you can also pull up previous articles on the tournament by clicking on them at the right).

No comments: