". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

GOP Debate

The Republican candidates debated again on CNN last night. At our house we chose to play Monopoly rather than watch, but this morning I was able to view some excerpts. Based upon that viewing, Mike Huckabee is still my favorite of the "second tier" candidates. He had a great line when he identified his hometown as Hope, Arkansas but pleaded with the public to "give us one more chance." He disappointed, however, when asked his opinion about evolution. Although he explicitly stated that he rejects evolutionary theory, he backed away from a golden opportunity to publicly embrace the 6-day creation, saying that he believes in a God who created the universe but doesn't know when or how or how long it took. On the other hand, I have to give credit to the frontrunners for their willingness to stand up for their beliefs, whether it was John McCain doggedly supporting President Bush's immigration bill (the only candidate to do so), Rudy Giuliani continuing to hold fast to his pro-choice position (however wrongly), or Mitt Romney saying that although some Republicans would like to see him back away from his Mormon affiliation, he will not do so. I may not agree with the beliefs of these men, but I respect their willingness to stand by them even when it may not be politically expedient to do so.

No comments: