". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Sunday, July 12, 2009

God and Sarah Palin

Here is a theory about the Palin haters that is different from most of the others out there. The author pulls no punches but takes to task elite Republicans and Democrats alike who look down their noses at the authenticity and sincere (as opposed to politically expedient) God-fearingness of this remarkable woman. One of the author's most perceptive moments is when he points out the violently hair-pulling reaction of those who objected to Palin's description of the President's piling up of debt as "immoral." How dare she? How dare she pass judgment? It's similar to the outrage of many when Ronald Reagan called the Soviet Union the "evil empire." Civilized, reasonable, tolerant moderns are not supposed to make distinctions between good and evil, you know, because after all, such things are all in the eye of the beholder.

(You are picking up on my sarcasm here, aren't you?)

I can't wait to see what Mrs. Palin does next.

1 comment:

Casual Observer said...

I don't know that I fully understand the constant focus on Sarah Palin's detractors.
EVERY national politician has a (seemingly paid) staff of professional mean spirited critics who can be relied upon to say something out of line and off base.
Whether it's calling Chelsea Clinton a dog, Obama a foreign-born Muslim, Bush an illiterate drunkard etc. etc.

I guess what bothers me about this whole thing is that last fall we were told that this person could handle the rigors of the White House if we chose her. Yet for Alaskan voters who DID in fact choose her she chose not to fulfill her responsibilities.
That doesn't inspire confidence.

I sympathize with the toll this ordeal places on her family, but I question why she didn't take this into account last Fall. I'm tired of ignoring the obvious inconsistencies in the image she presents to the public especially when contrasted with those she opposes.

On issues such as Economic Recovery, the Iraq War, Rule of Law, National Security and Nuclear non-proliferation she brought nothing whatsoever to the table. Unlike her running mate or her opposition (Obama or Biden), nothing in her background suggested an ability to tackle or even a passing interest on those topics.

To top that off she lacked the ability to communicate an understanding of complex policy issues not only to her STAFF, but to the media.

Few of us have time to look at every White House Press conference, we ALL read the news. Any way you slice it, that's important.

To some, Sarah Palin may be an inspiring symbol. BUT, between her challenging family life, questionable work ethic and lack of experience or knowledge on issues that I NEED my officials to know about she just isn't the person I'd trust the reigns of government to.

(2008 Perspective:
"Being a small town mayor is kinda like being a community organizer, except with real responsibility.")