". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Deck the Halls Meme

I saw this over at Amused Mama's place and couldn't resist. I bet YOU can't either.

Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Egg nog--with "sauce" or without. Either way it's yummy.

Does Santa wrap presents or set them under the tree? Under the tree. And in the stockings. Even when Santa quits leaving things under the tree, he still fills your stocking. :-)

Colored lights on tree or white? Colored! But only the traditional colors, not those purple and pink Mardi Gras looking things I've been seeing lately.

When do you put your decorations up? Varies. Usually late enough to be able to leave them up until Epiphany, but early this year because we are leaving for a road trip right after Christmas and everything will have to come down before we go.

What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)? Deviled eggs. For some reason we don't make them any other time.

Favorite holiday memory as a child: coming down the stairs with my big sisters on Christmas morning to see what Santa brought.

When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? Can't remember. I think I figured it out on my own but kept playing along for a few more years.

Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? We did when I was growing up but with services on both Christmas Eve and Christmas morning we usually don't get around to it until almost lunchtime on Christmas Day.

How do you decorate your Christmas tree? With lights and the various ornaments we have inherited, been given or colllected over the years. There is no theme to our tree--it's just a random assortment of store-bought and made with love. I like it that way. As for how it all happens, it seems to be mostly my project. This year it was me and the 5-year-old. I would welcome others joining in, though.

Snow! Love it or dread it? Depends on whether it's December or February.

Can you ice skate? No. Tried once. Never again.

What was your favorite gift? The early Christmas gift I got in December 1985. It was shiny and sparkly and went on my left hand ring finger.

What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you? Church on Christmas Eve. To quote Linus: "That's what Christmas is all about."

What is your favorite holiday dessert? Pumpkin pie with whipped cream. Gotta have the whipped cream.

What is your favorite tradition? Listening to Lessons and Carols on the radio on Christmas Eve morning with the whole family.

Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? Both. But if I had to choose . . . giving.

What is your favorite secular Christmas song? Can't think of one that stands out.

What is your favorite Advent hymn? I'll have to go with two: "O Lord How Shall I Meet You" and "Creator of the Stars of Night."

What is your favorite Christmas hymn? This one is easy: "Of the Father's Love Begotten."

Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum? I can take them or leave them. Generally I do the latter.

Ever recycled a Christmas present? I refuse to answer on the grounds it might incriminate me. :-)

No comments: