". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Monday, February 15, 2010

Your Tax Dollars at Work

I spent much of the day accompanying young musicians in Solo & Ensemble competition. The event took place at a local high school. Many of the students I accompanied were assigned to classrooms that are normally home to social science instruction (history, government, and economics). In one room the chalkboard had some writing that had not been erased. It was a comparison/contrast chart of the major political parties' stands on certain issues, one of which was censorship. According to the chart, on the question of free speech the Democrat party is "pro-freedom" and the Republican party is "pro-censorship."

This is the sort of thing with which students in our public schools are regularly indoctrinated. And we are told that this is education, and that the government needs more money to do more of it.

I could be wrong, but I think if more parents took the time to go into classrooms and see and hear what their children are being taught rather than blindly accepting that the schools are doing their jobs, they might decide it's time to not only starve the public education beast but to send him back to school himself.

5 comments:

IggyAntiochus said...

This is such a curious statement, as it is the Democrats who are continually discussing a "Fairness Doctrine" for radio and television that could be detrimental to Christian Radio. In its extreme, it would force Christian Radio to air opposing views. And they don't mean immersion versus sprinkling.

Cheryl said...

EXACTLY, Iggy. Whoever wrote those things on the board has it totally backward. My husband said I should have changed it. I'm not that brave.

Keith said...

Hi Cheryl,

I agree with your assessment and I hope that comment wasn't on a chalkboard (am I showing my age?) at Central High. In fact, I would think it would be the other way around (as your husband commmented), as most of my Republicn friends hold the ideal of free speach and expression as a foundation for their political thought. The indoctrination of our youth based on a teacher's personal bias is not only wrong, it goes against the concept of a civilized society of educatimg the youth of that society. Perhaps the teacher at that high school was merely illustrating a chart from a textbook? If so then in what contex was that comment made. And if not, I would hope that at least one student would've challenged the teacher on that comment and shame on the teacher if that student was remanded for making such a challenge. My Democrat political identity has been sorely challenged during these past few years as I see our leaders squabble over what they want, rather than do what is morally right for the common good. I've been an election judge in DuPage County for 23 years and I've noticed how ill-informed the electorate has become over the years. That our children would not challenge such an assertion would not surprise me at all.

By the by, the reason I went to your blog was to view the Lamb of God, Pure and Holy video that you took of the youth ensemble after Jessica mentioned that it was posted. I listened and I had goosebumps hearing our children/young adults sing this beautiful arrangement of the Agnus Dei. When we heard it again last night, Dave and I looked at each other with a knowing glance of the nurturing that our daughters are getting by singing it. It might not be the Lutheran thing to do to compliment participation in the Divine Service but the future of the Church is right there. Having you and Phil mentor these high schoolers muscially in the faith at such a crucial time in their lives is a blessing. I've seen our daughter grow in her faith. It is so difficult as a parent in the 2000's to keep an 18 year old focused on the gift of grace that God has given all of us - more so than when I was 18. The Lamb of God is, indeed, Pure and Holy.

Cheryl said...

Keith, the whiteboard that I described was not at Central, but another high school in the area.

And I think "Lamb of God, Pure and Holy" is eminently Lutheran! Having it accompanied with bass and piano and doing a few creative things with the rhythm doesn't change that. And for the record, I take no credit for the youth ensemble. It is all Phillip's doing. I, like you, am an appreciative parent. :-)

Keith said...

Cheryl, I did not convey my thoughts clearly. I, too, think that "Lamb of God, Pure and Holy" is eminently Lutheran. And the arrangement that was played and sung certainly doesn't change that.

What I tried to say is that I think sometimes we feel giving a compliment for a special performance at the Divine Service isn't necessary, because, well, it's the Divine Service. It came out that it appeared I was saying that the Agnus Dei wasn't Lutheran. God's peace be with you, Phillip and the kids as you say goodbye to your dear friend. :)