". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Friday, February 19, 2010

Farewell to a Friend

Today we will be traveling to Peoria to say goodbye to our dear friend Rev. Gerald Freudenburg, who was called to be with His Lord this past Sunday, February 14, 2010. Words are insufficient to express the scope of this dear man's life and legacy. We are just a tiny fraction of the many who loved him. As the senior pastor at my husband's first full time cantorate, he went from being boss to being friend and surrogate father and grandfather. I think the thing that I will most remember about him is his serenity. He truly radiated the joy and peace of Christ, taking each day as it came and giving thanks at all times for both blessings and trials.

Here is a brief photo journey through the years that we knew Pastor Freudenburg.

Husker Fever (pictured with Pastor are Phillip and
Rev. Dr. David Peter)



At Caitlin's baptism (with Pastor's wife Jo--"Grandma Jo" to our kids)




Holding Caitlin (there's that Nebraska shirt again)



Giving the keynote speech at Phillip's 40th birthday party
Another shot from Phillip's birthday party. That's Caitlin on the receiving end of Pastor's smile (and that's Evan in my tummy).

Phillip, Jo, Pastor, and dear friends Vicki and Kay.


Phillip and Pastor. I love this photo and wish it weren't so light. It was taken outside at night. But the posture and expression of the two men speaks volumes about their relationship.

Goodbye, Pastor. We will miss you so very much.


5 comments:

Elephantschild said...

...With angels and archangels and all the company of heaven, we laud and glorify Thy glorious name, evermore praising Thee and saying, "Holy, holy, holy..."


Introduce me to Pr Freudenburg, someday, ok?

Cate said...

What a wonderful tribute, Cheryl.

Prayers for strength and comfort for you and all who loved Pr. Freudenburg as you say your temporary, earthy good-byes today.

Cheryl said...

"Introduce me to Pr Freudenburg, someday, ok?"

It will be my pleasure, EC.

"Prayers for strength and comfort for you and all who loved Pr. Freudenburg"

Thank you, Cate!

jerry said...

you close this post with " we will miss you so very much." I still do. I wish the pain would stop.

Gypsy Russ said...

The pain doesnt really stop it might gets a little less as time goes by butmy heart is with you. He was a good man. I remember as a child I thought he was a saint. Serious....