". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Monday, February 8, 2010

Lamb of God, Pure and Holy

A lovely arrangement, beautifully performed by our high school youth ensemble during communion at church yesterday. My daughter is the first singer in the second row (in black skirt); my son can be heard but not seen, as his position at the far end of the second row places him squarely behind the young man in the first row. Several of these singers double as instrumentalists for the group, at various times playing keyboards, guitar, bass, clarinet and flute as needed. On this piece everyone sang, accompanied by my husband at the piano.

Towards the end of the video the camera pans to the altar and then to my younger son and his godmother (a.k.a. pastor's wife, who was sitting with Evan in church this day so I could attend to the sound system).

Enjoy!

Lamb of God, Pure and Holy from Cheryl on Vimeo.

4 comments:

Hannah said...

I see certain people I recognize! :)

IggyAntiochus said...

First of all, one of my favorite hymns ever! We would sing this hymn from TLH every at Wednesday Lenten services in my home congregation.

Secondly, I really like the contemporary spin in this arrangement.

Third, I am bookmarking this one in order to use it when my series on the liturgy (in conjunction with Micah's Liturgical Variations) reaches the Agnus Dei!

Phillip Magness said...

One correction - Adam Quetsch played bass guitar while the other 8 members of DavidSong sang. :)

Iggy - this arrangement is by Lynne Petersen, a WELS musician who I think is now teaching somewhere in Montana. It is published by GIA.

Glad you enjoyed this arrangement. The ensemble also played the following:

Now the Feast and Celebration (Haugen), provided flute, clarinet, synth, guitar, and vocal descants to accompany congregational song.

Psalm 138 - Trevor chanted a Liturgy Solutions setting of the appointed Psalm.

God Himself Is Present - stanza 2 was a Liturgy Solutions setting for bass, flute, clarinet, and SAB choir.

Honor and Praise (T. Paris) - they sang this in a Genevox arrangement while the offerings were received. I believe Camp Kirkland was the arranger. I added woodwind parts.

Offerotry - Garry Cornell's "Now is the Time to Banish Darkness" from his Holy Communion setting.

Agnus Dei - choir, piano, bass, per the recording.

Communion Distribution - after the congregation sang "Let All Mortal Flesh", the group led us in "Here I Am, Lord", with the singers providing the verses and harmony on the refrain; the congregation joining in the refrain, and the accompaniment provided by winds, bass, guitar, and strings on the synth.

Since I've gone on so long, I'll add my favorite observation: I think we may be the only congregation that has Twila Paris and "Isaiah, Mighty Seer" in the same liturgy! ;)

IggyAntiochus said...

LOL! Along the same lines as "Isaiah Mighty Seer" and Twila Paris, Lent I's Hymn of the Day is "A Mighty Fortress." At my church we might do that one as well as LSB 739, "Precious Lord, Take My Hand" :)