". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Sunday, January 17, 2010

The PC Generation

Background: My 14-year-old daughter is taking Tae Kwon Do. She is an orange belt now and a few days ago informed me that she needed a 18" long, 1" diameter stick for class. I went on a stick search yesterday morning but was only able to find 36" long dowels at the two hardware stores in my neighborhood. No problem, we have a saw.

Anyway, back to our story.

The scene: In the car, driving home from Tae Kwon Do.

Me: "How was class?"

Caitlin, eyes shining as she bounces cheerfully around the back seat, energized from the physical activity: "Great!"

Me: "So what do you use the stick for, anyway?"

Caitlin, after the slightest of pauses, probably wondering if she heard me right: "Um . . . for hitting."

Talk about a "duh" moment. I don't know what I was thinking. Twirling? Limbo? Marching band?

Me: "Oh. Yes. Hitting. Of course."

I'm glad my kid has not been ruined by political correctness, even though I have clearly been seriously corrupted by it. Here's to the next generation. Go get 'em, Caitlin!

1 comment:

Melanie T. said...

Cheryl,

Too funny!

Three of my kids are tae kwon do jr. black belts, hopefully soon to be four. All five of my kids study tkd. Four of them love weapons study the best. Samuel has also taken up Kumdo and Hapkido. Sticks, swords, knives. Yeah. But he loves it. He should be testing for his adult black belt as soon as he turns 15.

What rank is Caitlin?

Tae kwon do has been such a great activity for our kids. Last year for Christmas we gave them a collective gift of sparring gear, rebreakable boards and a kicking/punching bag. Our basement room is a pseudo gym, but it has been great to be able to send them down there to "work things out". ;o)