". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Sunday, March 8, 2009

This is sad.

The latest issue of World magazine features an interview with Bill Moyers, former White House press secretary to LBJ and host of several PBS news programs and series. Moyers talks about his degree in Divinity from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and his original intention to became a preacher, which eventually gave way to a career in politics and journalism.

Towards the end of the article, the interviewer asks Moyers if he believes Christ was truly crucified and raised from the dead. Moyers in effect says it doesn't matter--he says he has a "strong suspicion" Jesus was crucified but "there's no empirical evidence about it" and goes on to state: "You can't take the resurrection by fact--you have to take it on faith. You appropriate the story for what it means to you and what it says to you . . . If it means something to you, that's very important."

The article ends with this quote: "Someone recently asked me what the moment was when I became a Christian. And I told them, I never did become a Christian. I can't turn the other cheek. I can't sell all my possessions and give them away. I can't love my enemy. I am not a Christian because I can't do what Jesus asks. But, I care deeply about that figure. He has instructed my faith; He looms large in my life. But I can't do what He asks me to do, so I can't legitimately claim to be a Christian."

I could say all those same things about the things Jesus wants me to do that I can't. And yet for me, that is the very reason I AM a Christian.

No comments: