". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Friday, September 19, 2008

The Old, Evil Foe

For some time now I have been praying Luther's Evening Prayer with my youngest at bedtime. Although I have been encouraging him to join in, I have never yet had him speak the whole thing with me. But today as he was playing "church" (one of his favorite activities--he pulls out all the Bibles and hymnals he can find and "reads" and sings from them; processes his swords, which look like crosses if you hold them the right way; and dispenses communion from his plastic dishes) I heard him speak the entire prayer, with one alteration.

Here's the prayer as it is found in my Lutheran Service Book:

"I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have graciously kept me this day; and I pray that You would forgive me all my sins where I have done wrong, and graciously keep me this night. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen."

Here's how Evan said the last line:

"Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foam have no power over me. Amen."

Hmmm . . . I wonder if the creator of The Blob was Lutheran?

1 comment:

RPW said...

Oh, that is adorable!!!