". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Finally, Our Own

Earlier this summer Concordia Publishing House released the Sing the Faith Songbook and CD, which contains Martin Luther's entire Small Catechism set to music. As probably most of my readers know, our family has awaited the publication of this historic resource with special anticipation, not only as a Lutheran family who will make practical use of it but also as the composer's family who were privileged to witness the creative act in progress. When I finally laid eyes on these items at the national LCMS worship conference this summer, it was a moment to remember. But it was not until yesterday that I was able to claim ownership of my own copies of the songbook and CD.





At the conference this summer, quantities were limited and the publisher wanted to make as many as possible available to paying customers. So we were told that our promised complimentary copies would be in the mail. The one copy my husband did receive was for the purpose of being able to play the songs for workshop presentations, and when he visited his mother several weeks after the conference he gave that one to her. And although I personally bought several copies of the CD and songbook, they were for friends who later reimbursed me. Knowing we would eventually receive free copies, I just could not bring myself to pay for one, especially since my husband has already made all the money from this project that he will ever make (he receives no royalties). So I waited, and waited, while meanwhile the Lutheran church and school where my husband is Cantor ordered and received copies for all the school classrooms as well as for the church's self-serve bookstore.

Then I got an idea! I would go to that bookstore, take a copy and leave an "IOU" promising to replace it when our own copy came. But there was just one problem: the bookstore was already sold out.

At long last, though, my wait is over. Yesterday a box arrived with FOUR copies each of the CD and songbook. Thank you, CPH! The songbook has taken up residence on our piano and the CD on our stereo system. The other three copies of each will be stored away for our children until that day--far in the future, of course!--when they no longer live with us and desire this resource for their own home.

3 comments:

Genuine Lustre said...

I love the CD - Thank You Mr. Cheryl!
Good idea about stashing some for later.

(Cheryl - made my blog public again.)

Jane said...

We picked these up at the sem bookstore last week. I'm getting them for my Godchildren for Christmas. :)

Cate said...

Oh my goodness, I am such a bonehead. Our pastor has been recommending this to our Sunday School teachers and to us since we home-school and now I'm finally connecting all dots that this is what you have been talking about... wow, where's the hand-smacking-head icon that I so desperately need.