". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

We Made It!

I think it says something about this past year that when my husband suggested sitting down to watch the Olympics last night after supper my reaction was one of surprise. It is not an overstatement to say that both of us are having to relearn how to relax, because the events and circumstances of the last year basically took that away from us. But we need to remember how to get it back, because last night, for the first time in a very long time my husband and I found ourselves at home together on a night that he had no class to study for, no speech to write, no Liturgy Solutions music or website content to edit (well, nothing that couldn't wait, anyway!), no catechism songs to compose, and nothing else to do that couldn't wait until today. Wow! Freedom from the tyranny of the urgent! I had forgotten what it felt like to be able to procrastinate! Welcome back, honey. It's nice to see you again. And it looks like by the grace of God we muddled through and that maybe, just maybe, things are finally going to get a little bit easier.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I appreciate what you said here. I've been having a hard time sitting down to "do nothing" with Gary, watching a movie or whatever, because there is so much stuff that needs to be done. And yet, none of it is so urgent that it has to be done RIGHT NOW instead of tomorrow or the next day. Of course, the procrastination is going to catch up with me and things will become URGENT again. But for right now, maybe the relaxing isN'T naughty and wasteful like I so often feel that it is.