". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Winding Down

Can you believe it's almost over? It seems this presidential race has been going on for years (and in truth it has!), but finally the end is in sight. As Election Day nears, I am hopeful that conservatives and Republicans will continue coming together behind John McCain, even if he wasn't (and isn't) their ideal candidate. I think this is happening, as I am continually coming across people who several months ago said they would never vote for McCain but now say they will, even if reluctantly. I applaud anyone who has come to that conclusion for realizing what is at stake and making a difficult decision. Personally, while I never found a candidate that truly motivated me, I am comfortable with McCain and think he was ultimately the smartest choice for Republicans this election year. I still have differences with him and have more than once found myself wanting to shake him and ask, "What are you thinking, John, what on earth are you thinking?" but I respect his character and integrity and think he has a proper understanding of what makes America the unique place it is. I am sorry I can't say the same about Mr. Obama.

If you are a less-than-thrilled conservative voter who is still struggling with voting for John McCain, or if you are a McCain voter who needs some good ammunition for winning over more people to the cause, here is an article for you. It is an excellent summary of why one can and should vote for McCain and be completely at peace with that vote. It also effectively refutes the argument that we might as well go ahead and let Obama have his turn at the White House now because in doing so we will reveal the emperor's lack of clothes and open the door for a comeback in 2012. The problem with that thinking is that although I expect an Obama presidency would be a failure and would likely lead to Republicans retaking the White House in four years, serious and irreparable damage would be done in the meantime. Read and see why.

Forget Train Wreck: Obama is a Jet Crash - by Kyle-Anne Shiver

1 comment:

Elephantschild said...

I'm less-than-thrilled with McCain, but I'm not struggling with voting for him.

Voting for him is a no-brainer, and has been since it became clear he was the "presumptive nominee."