". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

What Was She Thinking?

This weekend on Fox News Sunday Chris Wallace interviewed Ann Romney, wife of Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney. One of the questions he asked concerned her past financial support of pro-choice organizations, particularly a donation she made to Planned Parenthood in 1993. Her response was as follows:

"You know, a check for $100, written in 1993 . . . . I don’t even remember writing the check. I know today, I wouldn’t write the check. I mean, how do you remember all the checks you’ve written, you know, how many years ago was that?"

Sorry, Mrs. Romney, but this answer is not sufficient for me. Frankly, it just doesn't ring true. If you feel strongly enough about supporting an organization to donate that kind of money to it, you ought to remember doing so. So either you are not being truthful, or you are just another woefully out of touch millionaire politician. Neither speaks well of you.

4 comments:

Presbytera said...

I happened to catch that part of the interview and thought, wow, she's saying that with a straight face. I will admit that I would not remember a check I wrote that many years ago. I would, however, remember that I donated to Planned Deathhood.

ecthompson said...

Cool blog. Check out my blog. If you like it please link me up. We can exchange links. Plus I have tons of videos that you might want to use.

Elephantschild said...

Planned Deathhood! Presbytera, you're a hoot.

Something doesn't smell right about Romney, and I'm not sure what it is. It's not "The Mormon Issue" but I can't put my finger on what it might be.

Anonymous said...

He's smarmy! And you know, maybe it *is* the Mormon issue with me - I nearly married into a Mormon family (he wasn't, but his whole family was) and I have a lot of really bad memories of the whole thing. They seem like really nice normal folks - until you realize that they are militant in their conversion tactics, and are taught that in positions of power, they are to further the advances of the church. Bad stuff, all around.

And I'm sorry, if you are against abortion, you *won't* write a check to Planned Parenthood - unless you're compromising your morals to gain the favor of a political group while your husband is working on his hierarchal climb.

So there. Ppphtt.