". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Thursday, August 23, 2007

This Is Not a Rhetorical Question

Why is it that the three-year-old in my house always seems to wait until about five minutes into my short but absolutely essential midday doze to come tearing into the bedroom, gleefully shouting "I need to go potty, I need to go potty!"?

Talk about mixed feelings. Evan's Mommy wants to smile brightly and congratulate her little man for successfully recognizing and responding to his biological directive. Problem is, Evan's Mommy shares her skin with an exhausted, stressed-out middle-aged grump who finds it impossible to reclaim a nap once it has been so summarily and definitively interrupted.

Time to make some coffee.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Not a rhetorical question, eh?
Okay.

The answer is "in pain you will bring forth children." He does it because God needs for you to know your weakness so that you will run to Him for all your strength.

(Do you ever want to stomp your foot and yell at God, "Okay! I got the point! I can't do nothin'!!! Can we stop the lesson now, please?")

Presbytera said...

Can you retreat to the bedroom and wait for him to run in with his announcement before you nod off to sleep?

AmusedMomma said...

At my house is not the little one, it's the biggest one. He always seems to want to talk when I'm trying to sleep. Husbands... what can I say? :-)