". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Friday, May 25, 2007

Chess Days

The Chicago Open starts tonight in Oakbrook, Illinois. It is one of the foremost competitive chess events in the nation, and we are blessed to have it happen within 30 minutes of our house. So for the next four days we will be making daily pilgrimages to the playing site to allow Trevor to play seven rounds of chess. The down side of all of this is the current price of gas in Chicagoland: last night our neighborhood station was advertising $3.75 for a gallon of mid-grade. The up side, apart from the joy of watching my son spend four days doing one of the things he loves most, is that while he is playing chess the lucky parent who is chaperoning him has nothing to do but sit and read, in quiet no less!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheryl:

We look forward to seeing Trevor and whoever the chaperone may be this weekend.

Tell Trevor "good luck" and hopefully he and Eric can avoid knocking heads this time around.

all the best,
Brad