". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Saturday, July 6, 2013

God Bless You, Rev. Harrison

Pleased, but not surprised, to wake up to this news today:

Harrison Elected to Second Term as LCMS President

Three years ago I wasn't nearly so relaxed about the outcome.

As I have followed Pastor Harrison over his first term two things have stood out: one, this is a man who understands vocation; two, this is a man who loves God's word. Time and time again, what I have seen in Pastor Harrison's public words and actions is the obvious joy he takes from living out the vocations of father, husband, pastor, musician and yes, synodical president, combined with a commitment to pointing those in his care to the source of all truth. While others politick, argue, debate, mudsling, plead, lobby, cajole, crusade, and agitate, he gently teaches and preaches and blesses. Would that we could all learn from his example. I have, myself, participated in an internet dispute or two. I can't really point to any such instance where I successfully convinced anyone of anything. I can point to relationships harmed and lost. Which makes me wonder, how much more would be accomplished for the Body of Christ if more of us followed President Harrison's lead, eschewing the endless back and forth of logic and snark and one-upsmanship and instead returning, repeatedly, to Scripture and the Confessions.

Dear Rev. President Harrison, please keep modeling for us how it's done. Who knows, maybe some day a few of us will learn that the best contribution we can make to the world and to our church is to serve those God has placed before us while studying, hearing and sharing His word whenever and wherever we can.

No comments: