". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Friday, June 28, 2013

Music Mnemonics

I saw this on Facebook today:


It was linked on one of the music pages I follow, with the question, "What acronyms did you use to remember the lines and spaces?" Here are the ones my first piano teacher taught me and that I still use with my students:

Treble clef lines - Every Good Boy Does Fine
Treble clef spaces  - FACE
Bass clef lines - Great Big Dogs Fight Animals
Bass clef spaces - All Cars Eat Gas

Over the years I have come across many others. One popular alternative for the treble clef lines is "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge." I have also heard "Good Boys Deserve Fudge Always" for the bass clef lines. I think if you are going to use one of those you had better not use the other one--they are too similar and easily confused. For the bass clef spaces I have also heard "All Cows Eat Grass." If you took music lessons growing up, what mnemonics did you use? Feel free to leave your favorite in the comments.

4 comments:

Phillip said...

In the late 80's/early 90's at San Jac, I taught "Gorbachev Bade Doom For America". (chuckle)

More seriously, some use "Ernie Gave Burt Dead Fish"

organistsandra said...

George Bush Drinks Fuzzy Ale. You can probably guess when that was popular.
Empty Garbage Before Dad Flips.

Cheryl said...

Good ones, all!

Rebekah said...

I learned All Cows Eat Grass, but I don't remember the bass clef lines. Probably why I was such a lousy tuba player.