". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

I'll Take What I Can Get

When his dad is out of town, Evan likes to sleep with me. I'm cherishing these days--there aren't going to be many more of them. Last night, the second night of my husband's absence, Evan came in to the bedroom and announced, "I'm here to take care of you, Mom! You're glad, aren't you? Because that way, if there's a fire, I can help you!" Then he looked deep into my eyes and lovingly affirmed, "I would be willing to get scorched for you, Mom."

Wow. My hero. Of course, in the next breath, his sacrificial love gained some perspective: "But if there were bees, I wouldn't be able to help you. I've never been scorched, so I can do that. But I've been stung by a bee, and I never want to do that again."


2 comments:

Bikermom said...

Sweet! :-]

Leah said...

My younger kids all fight over whose turn it is to sleep with me when my husband is out of town. :)