". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Memo to the Nanny State

So, a California lawmaker wants to ban the inclusion of toys in fast food kids' meals. He says the toys are an enticement to children to eat unhealthy food.

Never mind that it's not the kids buying the meals but their parents. When was the last time you saw a six-year-old drive his trike through McDonald's?

Clearly this is yet another instance of government attempting to usurp individual freedom and in this case the authority of the parent. Expect more of this sort of thing with Obamacare because after all, if the government is paying for everyone's health care, it has the duty to tell us how to eat.

I saw the lawmaker in question on Fox News this morning, and when he was asked, "Isn't it the parent's job to decide what his child should or should not eat?" his response was, "Yes, but we just think parents could use a little help."

I'm reminded of the wisdom of Ronald Reagan, who once stated, "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" Who does this guy think he is? The sheer, brazen audacity--to look me in the face and tell me that I can't successfully rear a child without his high-falutin' help.

Well, I have news for him.

IT'S NOT THE TOY, MAN.

It's the French fries, as any parent well knows.

As long as there are French fries in Happy Meals, kids wll want Happy Meals. Wonder how long it will be before they figure that out and Happy Meals are outlawed?

5 comments:

Katie said...

I don't always agree with what you have to say (though in this case I do), but I really enjoy reading your blog. Thank you for writing.

Barb the Evil Genius said...

BTEG sheepishly admits that her family has bought Happy Meals mainly for the toys, when they've had a collection we've wanted. However, we should still be allowed to make that decision, and one Happy Meal a week for a few weeks will not kill anyone.

Cate said...

"What's next, outlawing Happy Meals?" That used to be a punch line. A joke.

Now it's so close to reality that it's not even funny.

What times we live in.

Jane said...

Cate, I was thinking the exact same thing.

Cheryl said...

Katie, thanks for reading!
BTEG, exactly.
Cate and Jane, it would be funny if it weren't so sad, wouldn't it?