". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Second Sunday in Advent

"Prepare the Way of the Lord" (from Taizé) accompanied by guitar, synthesizer (my son), accordion (my husband), & hammered dulcimer. This was sung as the Verse at our Saturday evening service tonight. Poor sound quality (I really need a better recording mechanism than my cell phone), but maybe sufficient to give my readers who are interested a sampling of what a "contemporary" liturgical ensemble at Bethany might sound like. The hammered dulcimer player (largely inaudible on the video) is on the left; she was a surprise guest, not a member of our congregation but a friend of the guitarist who sat in just for tonight. The guitar at first and later the accordion sound a lot louder in the video than they did in the service, and because I was sitting right by the musicians you mostly hear them and not the congregation (which was a Saturday night crowd so was small anyway). The accordion drops out on the final repetition.



Here's another--several stanzas of "On Jordan's Bank the Baptist's Cry" accompanied by piano, synthesizer and guitar. The sound quality is a little better here. The little voice you hear humming along is Evan. :-)



My husband says that next time I want to do a recording in church I should go to the other side of the sanctuary to get a more balanced, representative mix of the instruments and congregation. He's so smart. I guess that's why he's the Cantor and I'm not.

No comments: