". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

R.I.P.

I was sorry to hear yesterday about the death of actor/dancer Patrick Swayze. He was too young to die. From what I know of pancreatic cancer, it is a miracle that he lived for two years after the diagnosis was made. My heart goes out to him and his family for what must have been an agonizing couple of years.

He wasn't a great actor or a great singer. But he struck me as being sincere in the work he did in both realms. He was most certainly a great dancer. But what I will most remember and admire him for is his commitment to his marriage. He met his wife Lisa Niemi when she was 15 and he was 19 and she was taking dance lessons from Patrick's mother Patsy Swayze (who choreographed Urban Cowboy). Four years later they married, and they stayed married until Patrick's death. Do the math--that's 34 years, a rarity for anyone these days, but particularly for Hollywood types. Clearly he was a man who had his priorities straight.

My condolences to the family and friends of Patrick Swayze. May he rest in peace, and may you find joy in your memories and comfort and solace in the Lord.

No comments: