". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The To-Do List Will Have to Wait . . . Again

Have you noticed a change in my blog?

These days it seems I'm writing much more about my immediate sphere--the family and personal stuff--than about the world beyond. I suppose I'm just finding it too depressing to think about the state of the country and world and trying to find consolation in the day to day. The ancient Greek philosophers believed that the cosmos was interwoven in such a way that events in one part had a ripple effect on everything else. The belief was adopted by the Elizabethans, and you can see it in Shakespeare when events in the human world (the microcosm) are reflected in the natural world (the macrocosm), so that when the kingdom is out of whack (kings getting murdered and such), nature is also distressed (earthquakes, storms, etc.)

I am thankful that I am not seeing that macrocosm/microcosm connection in my own life right now. The world is messed up, but here on the home front we just seem to be floating along as usual in our little Lutheran homeschooling bubble. I thank God for the freedom and ability to do that and pray that events in the world at large don't invade and take it from us. And since I don't seem to have much power to affect the world right now, I'm trying to affect my immediate sphere. Problem is, it's almost July and it seems like I haven't made much progress yet this summer. I always seem to start the summer with a list of things that I want to get done that I wasn't able to get to in the busier part of the year. And every year it seems I come up short, not having made nearly as much progress on the list as I had hoped.

Right now, even though my piano students have lightened up for the summer and my various choir practices have ceased (so I should have more time on my hands), it seems I'm only managing the essentials: the laundry, meals, and running around. The deep cleaning remains to be done (heck, any level of cleaning remains to be done). So do the filing, and the organizing of books and homeschool supplies, and the printing and sorting of photos and putting them in albums, and the learning/practicing of something on the piano for my own personal development instead of because I have to, and the completing of one of the books I have been trying to read for months, and the multiple miniature home improvement/beautification jobs I have in mind, and the homeschool subjects we didn't get to during the year (we're still trying to finish up the things we DID get to), and the letters/thank you notes that have yet to be written, and . . . well, you get the picture.

And once again, today it will all have to wait. And for good reason. Because my husband and I are heading down to Collinsville, Illinois to celebrate the one-year anniversary of the rebirth of Issues, Etc (after it was so rudely snatched from the airwaves by a synodical leadership that continues to perturb anyone who is paying attention to it).

I'll have a report and pictures in a few days.

No comments: