". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Progress!

May



June



This is only our second year of vegetable gardening. I think we overplanted a bit. But things are looking pretty good, don't you think? (The credit for soil preparation, planting, and garden care thus far belongs entirely to my husband, altnough I did go buy the plants.) We have tomatoes, peppers, basil, rosemary, chives, sage, squash, collard greens, and cantaloupe. We are hoping to expand the plot next year--maybe add a strawberry patch. Hey, gardeners out there, what else might we successfully grow in a backyard plot in Illinois?

1 comment:

Bi-Coloured-Python-Rock-Snake said...

In Illinois? You can grow just about anything that'll fit into the growing season. You can find the length of your growing season here.

Root vegetables are fun and easy: carrots, radishes, beets.

If your family likes collards, there's all manner of other greens you could grow, like mustard, kale, chard, bok choy, etc. Mmmmmm... greens.