". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Duond Akuru

Our day school had its junior high concert last night. Caitlin was involved in three of the four ensembles (bells, jazz band, and choir)! The kids did a great job. The final number on the program was "Duond Akuru" performed by the choir. We had hoped to videotape it but had some technical difficulties. So I found this performance online. Our choir was almost this good . . . but not quite. :-)

The composer of "Duond Akuru" is the amazing Rollo Dilworth from Chicago. I had the chance to watch him in action a couple of years ago when he was the guest conductor on a children's choir concert that I also played piano on (I did not play on the numbers he conducted). The choirs on the concert sang several of his pieces. I was impressed by his energy and enthusiasm and the pure joy he takes in the music.

I hope you'll take a few moments to listen and enjoy. It's a song that just makes you feel good. "Duond Akuru" means "The Voice of the Dove." Here are the words to the song:

"Duond akuru from yonder tree.
Duond akuru, it speaks to me.
Up on the mountaintop, or in the valley below,
I hear the voice of the dove, high up above,
And it brings laughter and joy to my soul.

Duond akuru from yonder tree.
Duond akuru, it speaks to me.
When I am all alone, or in the midst of my friends,
There is an echo of peace, calling to me,
And it brings comfort and love without end.

Echunya awinjo wer mamit
Awinje ka oolore ei ngimana.

(Translation*: In my heart I hear the sweet music.
Deep inside my soul I feel the rhythm.)

*from the Duoluo language, as spoken by the Luo people of Kenya.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love this song! we are preforming this as an 8th grade chorus and i wish we sounded this beautiful and strong.

Unknown said...

we are singing this in the 7th grade

Unknown said...

We are sing this for our SJMEA contest for all the state of Washington and we range between freshman all the way to seniors

Unknown said...

We are singing this for our SJMEA Washington state wide and we are a mix of different grade from freshman to senior