". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Post Election Day Thoughts

President-Elect Obama's appointment of the take-no-prisoners Rahm Emmanuel as Chief of Staff is cause for concern in light of his promise to set a "new tone" in Washington. On the other hand, who can blame him? If our guy had won, we would be cheering such an in your face appointment.

Obama's nasty slap at Nancy Reagan during his first press conference was also unbecoming of someone who has positioned himself as a healer and uniter. For the record, Mrs. Reagan did not hold seances but consulted with a psychic/astrologer in the wake of the attempt on her husband's life. She was distraught. To make light of anything related to that terrible episode in America's history is callous and unworthy of the presidency. I am glad Senator Obama apologized. But seeing such carelessness with words in his first presidential-style appearance is troubling to me.

I am disgusted with the Sarah Palin rumor-mongering that is emanating from some unnamed cretins in the McCain campaign. Shame on them. John McCain should come out with a forceful disavowal of their behavior and an affirmation of all that Governor Palin brought to his campaign.

I am very worried about our country and about where the new president is going to take us, not only because I disagree with his core beliefs but also because I just don't think he has the discernment required for the job. But it cannot be denied that he is a remarkable and intelligent man. I am clinging to that fact, hoping and praying that once he is privy to the full range of presidential knowledge, he will moderate some of his plans and ideas. I am also taking comfort in the fact that he is a husband and father and that surely he will want to take steps to preserve and protect his own family as well as mine in this dangerous world. May the Lord grant him wisdom as he leads us forward.

Finally . . . thank God it's over! I feel like I can breathe again!

No comments: