". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Sunday, February 17, 2008

For My Fellow Illinoisians (and a Few Others)

You know you are a true Illinoisian when . . .

Your local Dairy Queen is closed from November through March.

You see nothing odd about wearing shorts and a parka at the same time.

Vacation means going north or south on I-55 for the weekend.

You measure distance in hours.

You know several people who have hit a deer more than once.

It is not unusual to switch from heat to AC and back again in the same day.

You drive 65 mph through a raging blizzard without flinching.

You see people wearing camouflage at social events (including weddings).

You carry jumper cables in your car and know how to use them.

You design your child's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit.

Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow.

The year has 5 seasons, and they are 1) almost winter, 2) winter, 3) still winter, 4) road construction & 5) hot.

Your idea of creative landscaping is a statue of a deer next to a blue spruce.

"Down south" means Missouri.

Brats are something you eat.

You have more miles on your snowblower than on your car.

0 degrees is defined as "a little chilly."

You know the difference between corn and soybeans at a glance.

You do not consider Chicago to be a part of Illinois.

A "hill" is any landmass higher than 20 feet above sea level.

(Hat tip to my mom, who forwarded this list to me.)

No comments: