". . . little shall I grace my cause

In speaking for myself. Yet, by your gracious patience,

I will a round unvarnish'd tale deliver . . ."

(William Shakespeare's Othello, I.iii.88-90)

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

April 20

Three years ago on April 20 a bad thing happened. The last two years I was painfully aware of the approach of the date on the calendar. Yesterday I didn't even think about it until about halfway through the day. I write this today to encourage you, if you have recently had an April 20 in your life, to take heart. I know it doesn't seem like it now, but there will come a time when that date on the calendar won't be completely overshadowed by what happened in the past. I'm not saying you will forget. Your April 20 may be a hundred times worse than mine, and the last thing I want to do is make light of anyone's pain. It may be that you haven't had just one April 20 but a series of them in quick succession, and you are wondering when they're going to stop. In that case, I pray God's care and protection of you. I also pray that in time your April 20s, however many of them there are, hurt less and the day comes that you wake up to discover that April 20 came and went and you didn't even realize it because you were too busy enjoying a life that is better than you ever imagined it could be. Until then, be ye glad and trust in the One who took the worst day in history and turned it into the best day there ever was.


2 comments:

Susan said...

This weekend I was thinking that it was getting to be about "anniversary time" for you. (Funny that I was so close to the actual date.) But I was thinking it was only two years ago.

Oh, wait. I remember where I lost the year. I'd been counting backwards from OK, but forgot there was another IL church.

I'm so glad for you that the hurt is lessened and that life is good where you are!

Cheryl said...

It amazes me, Susan, that you were so close to the actual date. Thank you for thinking of me and being such a good friend.

I lose track of how long it's been, too, and have to count back to be sure. Sometimes when I think about it my reaction is, "Wow, it's only been three years?" Other times it's "Seriously? It's been that long?"

Of course, that may be due to aging as much as anything. :-)